Saturday, September 16, 2017
Greetings fellow Harvard volunteers,
We are working with our friends from Volunteer Houston and due to the Hurricane and the immediate needs of the city of Houston, we will pivot our original Community Service Outing from hurricane ‘preparedness’ to an immediate ‘recovery and relief unofficial volunteer opportunity. Our Harvard group will meet at 8:45 a.m. at NRG and we will cover various jobs (see details below). Volunteer Houston is in need of volunteers to run the BakerRipley shelter tomorrow, Saturday, September 16 for Harvey evacuees at NRG Center from 9 to noon. The Harvard University Club will schedule another community service event and luncheon outing in the near future. For specifics on tomorrow’s volunteer event with fellow alumni, please scroll down the page for very important details. If you have not already registered to volunteer and you would like to join us, email Maureen at HClubHouston@att.net by 8 a.m. Saturday, and meet us in the morning.
Harvard volunteers will meet us at the check-in desk at NRG at 8:45 a.m. For parking, enter through Gate 10 and Park in the Red Lots 2 or 4. There is only one entrance and the check-in desk in located inside as you enter (check-in at the volunteer table at NRG Center - not the stadium - enter through the glass doors located at the entrance facing Kirby.) Harvard alumna Sarah Cove and also Colleen McCauley of Volunteer Houston will be at the check-in desk waiting for you. Feel free to wear your Harvard crimson colors! For questions, please email Maureen Garnett at HClubHouston@att.net.
See you in the morning!
Harvard University Club of Houston
Volunteers are needed at the BakerRipley shelter at NGR Center on Saturday, September 16 for the following jobs:
1. Volunteer Check-in
2. Guest Intake
3. Greeters and Guides
5. Maintaining Living Quarters
6. Food Service
Things volunteers need to know:
1. NRG Center (not the stadium) is located at 1 NRG Park, Houston, TX 77054.
2. Check-in at the volunteer table at NRG Center - not the stadium - enter through the glass doors located at the entrance facing Kirby.
3. Bring a photo ID for verification.
4. Volunteers must be 16 and older.
5. Please wear comfortable clothes.
6. Bring your own chargers and everything you may need for your shift. Only bring what you can keep on your person - there is no place for bags.
7. If you have dietary restrictions, please bring your own food.
8. PARKING: Enter through Gate 10 and Park in the Red Lots 2 or 4.
9. You must check-in and check-out at the volunteer check-in area for every shift.
**Please note disaster recovery volunteers are exempt from formal agency orientation. You will receive training on-site when you arrive.**